In the 1940’s, in response to a need in the community for an alternative country club, a group of prominent Scranton businessmen began to search for an appropriate site. The search started between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, but finding nothing suitable, the search shifted to the Clarks Summit area.
In September 1951, the Oakford Estate became available and 16 of our future members came together, each contributing $100 for an option on the property. The property consisted of approximately 138 acres, the barn, and two bungalows, which are still in use. It also included the main house, which was the Oakford Family summer residence. The closing took place December 27, 1951.
Harold Phillips became the first President. Ely S. Lipsins was the first secretary. A liquor license was purchased from the Excelsior Club in downtown Scranton. Our Club was called the Excelsior Social Club until December 7, 1952, the name Glen Oak County Club was formally adopted.
The Oakford home was converted into a modest dining facility in July, 1952. The dining room was added in 1955, and in 1971, the kitchen facilities were greatly expanded. The Main House burned Novemeber 25, 1978, and was replaced by a locker room facility. The Clubhouse was completed August 17, 1987.
Soon after the Club was organized, James Harrison, a noted golf course architect, was retained to design the golf course. Work commenced in the summer of 1952 under the direction of Isadore Spitz and Irving Jackman. The first 9 holes, 1 through 5 and 15 through 18 were opened for play October 11, 1953. The remaining nine holes were begun in 1959 and were opened for play June 3, 1961. At that time, the 18 holes were reconfigured to the present sequence.
Contact Glen Oak Country Club
Weddings & Events Inquiries